Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Best Gluten Free Waffles EVER!

I am really patting myself on the back for this one (even more than I did for the Blackberry Frozen Yogurt). 

It is incredibly difficult to find a recipe for gluten free waffles that actually works. They're always too dry, too crumbly, don't cook in the middle, can't be made vegan, etc etc

But I have solved this persistent problem!

Well, persistent for those of us in the Celiac/Gluten intolerant/Gluten allergic/Vegan world

If you aren't in one of those categories and are reading this then I must politely say screw you, you get to eat normal gluten-filled delicious fluffy waffles.

I'm obviously just incredibly jealous. Darn my gluten intolerance, it ruins everything delicious for me.

BUT NOT ANYMORE! I can now eat these amazing waffles =]

(Look, I know I'm awful at food photography. I usually just don't even attempt it. But I didn't think anyone would believe me about these waffles without pictures. PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!)
 
The Best Gluten Free Waffles EVAR 
*vegan and non-vegan options
1 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup arrowroot
1/4 cup tapioca flour/starch
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. sugar (I used coconut sugar)

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp. lemon juice or apple cider vinegar*
Ener-g egg replacer for 2 eggs or 2 eggs if not vegan
*You can use just coconut milk or just almond, I like to mix them. Add the lemon juice/vinegar to the milk and let stand for 10 minutes (this makes it into a vegan "buttermilk" for fluffy waffles)

Mix the dry ingredients together REALLY WELL in a bowl and mix the wet ingredients in another. Combine the dry and wet and stir until smooth.
Heat the waffle iron and add the batter, cooking until brown. This varies based on the type of iron you have, it takes mine about 3 minutes.

Let the waffles cool on a cookie rack until ready to eat.

Optional add-ins: blueberries, raspberries, dark chocolate chips ;)

The Little Owlet enjoying one of the chocolate chip ones. He didn't even ask for syrup. That's confirmation that they're delicious in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment