Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Blackberry Frozen Yogurt

I love Pinterest. It's an addiction! I love browsing the humor section, the popular pins, hair and beauty, fashion, and I especially love the food pins. There are many amazing food pins that link to great food blogs. While there are quite a few vegan/dairy free/gluten free recipes, sometimes I find a great recipe that needs some tweaking to fit into our diet preferences.

I found a recipe for Blackberry Frozen Yogurt that used dairy. It used yogurt cheese and sweetened condensed milk. Now, many of you might know that there is no pre-made dairy free replacement for sweetened condensed milk. So I set out to make my own!

If you need or want the recipe to be dairy free, it is well worth it to take the time to concoct the dairy-free condensed milk. I promise!

Dairy-free Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 can full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup agave nectar
Combine the coconut milk and agave in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat on the stove. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture is the texture of a thick syrup. Let cool in the fridge or in the freezer if you need it speedier until ready to prepare the frozen yogurt.

Blackberry Frozen Yogurt
1 batch of Dairy-Free Sweetened Condensed Milk, cooled
2 pints of organic blackberries, frozen
1 container coconut/soy/almond yogurt (I used plain coconut yogurt)
Combine the yogurt and sweetened condensed milk and add the frozen blackberries slowly and blend until smooth. You can place in an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions or do what I did and simply place  in the freezer until ready to serve.

The Little Owlet is crazy about it! Who can blame him? It is sweet, creamy, and icy just in time for the budding warmth of Spring.

I imagine it would be just as delicious when made with other berries. I plan on making it again soon with raspberries. 



No comments:

Post a Comment